Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Analysis of Paul van dem Boom's American Psyche

It's hard to find a single solitary message in American Psyche. There are many; some are obvious while others are more tacitly expressed. Some are expressed by the interviewee while others are expressed through Mr. Paul van dem Boom's directing. The film is rather eye-opening, at least for me. It showed me that the views I hold are not just my own as I always thought they were. It actually makes them seem a near majority of views. This just makes me wonder though, that if so many people think the things that I do about the war, capitalism, terrorism, and etc. then why isn't anything being changed? This seems to go far beyond a psychological error or any psychological terms. It seems that we are afraid of change, yet we want it... (?) It would change our country fundamentally, as it may have (we will see about Obama). It would change the relationship between citizen and government. One thing I have learned in my 11th grade American History class is that to reform something, the first thing one must do is educate people that something is wrong. The problem with that though, is that it seems we may have started too late. Something to think about, maybe Obama won't be able to fix what is already so broken, maybe no one can. The one thing he has done so far is created hope that we can, which can be very powerful in creating reform. 

This may not have much to do with the topic at hand, just came to me after I watched the film. It is a great film that should be taken seriously. 

Keeping on par with me topic though, it seems as though the thoughts of American's about America actually mirror many thoughts of other nations about us. We agree that we have taken capitalism too far, the war needs to end well, and the less fortunate need helping. Let me put it this way, in the case of the fundamental attribution error, other countries think we are greedy and egocentric. Do you agree or disagree with them?

No comments: