Monday, November 17, 2008

In my research on the topic "American psyche," I have learned that not one thing drives us as Americans to do what we do. Not only is it not JUST one thing, but it is the combination of these things into what we are, our being. If our stance on one issue was different, that stance could affect other issues that are important to us. I am a devout Christian who believes abortion is wrong, but if I was an Atheist I might believe abortion is right. Everything that is important to us drives us. I like money, therefore I will do whatever it takes to earn more money (this is all hypothetical). I like helping people, therefore I will do whatever I can for my fellow man. More will be on the way as I develop my thesis and more research. 
After watching the movie "American Psycho" I got a feeling that we have become egocentric in our views. Here is a clip that is rather humorous.

I have found some interesting psychological terms to describe to you what drives us. I haven't read the research yet, but I thought I might tell you that it is very interesting stuff. I will post at a later date when I fully grasp the concepts though. I am beginning to narrow my research down to Americans versus the world. How our ideas and issues conflict and hurt relations with most countries in the world (Not to say that all of our ideas hurt the world, I don't mean to generalize). What I mean is that our ignorance of the world or issues that affect it tends to get us into a bit of trouble now and again. More on the way!

2 comments:

slballa said...

First off I have to say that your blog is pretty sweet with the playlist to set the mood. I also, like the fact that as different as our topics are they are somewhat similar as you said that it seems like it is america against the world with our ignorance of other peoples societies, thats just like legalizing marijuana as it is a small group of Americans vs. America's citizens and police forces.

Another point that I found interesting was how you replyed on the podcast about Americans greed. Which I have learned about in economics where it is customary to act out of self interest. I believe that this is the reason our economy is in shambles now but I do have to disagree with your comments on the bailout because I believe without the bailout the auto companies are going to affect a lot more businesses on top of the huge employment by the big three. Although, I do agree that the CEO's should not be getting reimbursed because if you can lose that much money than you should be able to help get your company get a bailout package but should lose their jobs(because we all know the CEO's of the big three have enough money to never work again and they are obviously not worth the money).
-Jack Schroeder

Mattw said...

Yeah, I agree. In the case of the bailout bill, I just thought that no they shouldn't be reimbursed (the CEOs) but that is the only reason I really disagreed with it. I agree with what you said about the loss of jobs, it would hurt our economy even more. Maybe that is the worst part of big business. The fact that the founders involve many people just to make sure he never goes out of business; he'll always be bought out if he goes under. Thanks though; I appreciate it.